Sunday, June 17, 2012

Peace and Lionel Richie.


Full Disclosure: I love the commodores and Lionel Richie.

If you aren't aware of the popularity of Lionel Richie in the Middle East I suggest you listen to this brilliant conversation with Andrew Corsello (GQ) who wrote an article called 'Lionel of Arabia.'
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6576395




If you have ignored this link and have continued reading: Lionel Richie is a unifying force in the Middle East, Everybody loves Lionel.


Here is an excerpt



PESCA: Including - we should mention - that in Iraq, Shiite and Sunni agree on little else except for the fact that they both love Lionel Richie. 

Mr. CORSELLO: It's amazing. You know, this age-old hatred is finding full expression. And the only thing that they seem to agree on is their love Allah and his prophet, and the music and life of Lionel Richie. The unbelievable fact that when shock and awe began raining its bombs down on Baghdad in March of 2003, Baghdadians spontaneously were turning their stereo speakers into the street and sound-tracking the bombings to “All Night Long,” the calypso number-one hit that Lionel had in 1984. 
 
Wouldn't it be dope if all the complexities of conflicts and entrenched hatred could be solved by Lionel Richie. I don't know if that could or would ever happen, I just felt like sharing.
 

In March next year I will play "All night long" in my street for peace, you can join me if you feel like it. I'm going to cause a scandal in suburbia.

xooxo
-Raz

No comments:

Post a Comment